Yarn wreaths. They’re everywhere. Handmade goodness to match my decor for every season and holiday? Sign me up!
I’ve wanted to try one for a while but have been thwarted by the idea of wrapping, and wrapping…and wrapping, through the center of a wreath. Let’s not forget that I’m a huge fan of convenience and immediate satisfaction. I’ve seen some industrious crafters use pipe insulation as a wreath form with some undesireable results. The insulation offers little support and ends up distorted. I think I’d have a stroke if I spent all that time dickering around with the wrapping only to come back the next day to a twisted mess of a wreath.
We recently built a pole barn on our property and I found a piece of pipe insulation laying in the garage. Hmmm. How do I turn this into a wreath? Better still, how do I make it easier to wrap? I had my husband pick up four pieces of pipe insulation in various widths. Total investment – under $10, which is a lot more economical than the $5 styrofoam forms I’ve seen at the craft store.
The insulation stood in the corner of my dining room for a few weeks. Every so often, I’d take a length and twirl it around, trying to imagine how to work this flimsy stuff into a nice, circular wreath. And then a though occured – what it…it wasn’t a circle?
I let the idea stew for a few days, and eventually came up with a plan. I would make a six-sided wreath from the pipe insulation, but I’d work it in two halves to speed up the wrapping process.
Here’s how I did it.
First, I selected the 3/4″ insulation and cut it into six eight inch lengths.
Then, using my handy cutting mat with the angles already marked, I snipped each end at a 60 degree angle. The part was a bit tricky. The insulation is circular and wants to roll, so you have to be sure your angles match up on each end or you’ll end up with a twisted wreath.
Next, I glued three of the pieces together at the mitered corners and repeated with the other three pieces. At this point, I used some packing tape to further reinforce the corners. If I had duct tape handy, I would have used that instead, but I worked with what I had. I laid the tape across the joint, and then cut a line up the center toward the joint so that I could wrap the tape neatly. (The red marks show where I cut.)
I decided to nip off the corners a bit to reduce the bulk and aid in wrapping, and then I added more tape.
Here are the two halves of the wreath, ready to be wrapped (this was before I nipped the corners).
Once I had the frame assembled, it was time to wrap. I chose a chunky acrylic yarn in a creamy color, figuring that the chunky yarn would make for faster wrapping. I started about two inches from the end, and wrapped, and wrapped…and wrapped. Every ten wraps or so, I stopped to snug the yarn together so that the pipe insulation didn’t who through, and then I stopped a few inches from the end.
I glued, taped and trimmed the remaining corners, finished wrapping, and then glued the yarn ends on the back to secure.
I cut some simple felt flowers and leaves, glued the center of an old button to the flower, and added some sheer yarn as a hanger. Ta-da!